Thursday 5 July 2012

SHARPER WRITING DRIVES THE PLOT *ouch!


I found Heidi Cohen's 21 Tips to keep your
writing sharp interesting.

A writer can write in an attic, or on top of a bus. Or with a sharp stick in some wet cement. ~Paul Muni

I’ve been thinking a lot about writing sharp. As I see it, to keep driving the plot forward I need to: 

Ø Structure the plot
Ø Shape chapters including some rough edges
Ø Slide over time
Ø Sharpen sentences – I find the Tweet comment box useful for this

Writing in first person from a young POV gives me a lot of time to notice everything and understand only the things that have importance for my MC.

Children have very sharp powers of observation - probably sharper than adults - yet at the same time their emotional reactions are murky and much more primitive. ~ Donna Tartt

  
I hear the little children of the wind
Crying solitary in lonely places. ~ William Sharp


DO YOU PREFER WRITING IN FIRST OR THIRD PERSON?

No comments:

Post a Comment