Sunday 20 January 2013

SIX SENTENCE SUNDAY - GENRE MASH-UP SCI-ROM-FI

especially when it is laced with romance :D

SIX SENTENCE SUNDAY

Yesterday, I reviewed my writing note book. I totalled the genres and discovered my interest in sci-fi and romance score best, they have the highest number of ideas. I'm reading crime fiction to prepare for the project waiting in the biro. My diet of crime is bringing on an a sci-rom reaction. Who'd have thought? ;)

As Xavia slid to a halt at the portal, the dull echo sounded again. She ran her fingers over the key pad, caught her breath, and smoothed her expression to calm efficiency, before the compressed gas hissed and the door swung open. Theoretical science proved: time did have elastic qualities, and dimensions were not fixed: the portspace was filled by lengths of moulded plas-fabric. Automatically she checked the details to identify as much as possible about the visitor, his grav-boots were quality, the suit was enhanced with sensors, his head was clean shaven but her breathing had shifted to unstable. It was a man's face, the alignment of the features more perfect than the ones she'd seen on the Surgical Solutions' site. When his eyebrows tugged low enough they shadowed his features and moved his expression from magnetic to grimly-fiendish.

I love focussing on the first six sentences of everything I read, so much can be condensed into a tiny space.

WHICH GENRES MASH-UPS DO YOU ENJOY READING?

4 comments:

  1. I like it... the idea of mixing. You may not be able to mix your drinks, but writing well go with the flow and have fun. I love your piece!

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula
      Thank you. I was definitely playing around with romance where the sci-fi was purely window-dressing: commercial sci-romance. I figured sighs and romance were a good fit ;)
      No drink-mixing for me, around here, I'm the serial designated-driver.

      Delete
    2. Me too, Elaine. A-glass-of-wine-with-my-meal-sort-of-girl am I

      Delete